Monday, June 27, 2011

Spark Notes

Because it's almost 2am and I have yet to do my class reading or my homework, I'm giving you the sparknotes version of my last few days. I would wait till later to write a proper entry and do the adventures that I've had justice, but seeing as I don't think my life will be slowing down at all the next fews days (and then some), I decided this was would have to do. I need to give my fans something.

Saturday 
- Orientation (nap time)
-Bus tour (saw JK Rowling's house among other British Landmarks)
-Stumbled upon a Jesus Festival in the middle of Westminster (will dedicate an entire blog to that experience at a later date).
- Spent an hour at the National Art Gallery (free and awesome).
- River boat tour of the Thames (Most entertaining tour guide).
-Got lost looking for a pub (and asked a guy on a motorcycle for directions).
- Found said pub (and 4 British guys we introduced ourselves too).
- Spent the rest of the night at a second pub (with our new mates). 
- Ran at full speed to make the last tube before it closed (with Annabel yelling, "Americans coming through!" as we nearly ran over everyone in our path).

Sunday
- Group Lecture (nap time)
- Made a Sainsbury run (British "Target").
- Went on a seemingly never ending walking tour of the Olympic Grounds (bought a keychain).
- Attended a local Korean Baptist Church (loooong story, but in the end no one in the church was even Korean, although the pianist for worship was Vietnamese I think). 
-  Group dinner at a Bangladesh restraunt in the dodgy end of town (Loads of people raved about the food afterwards, Bianca and I gave it high praise, saying, "it was edible since we were starving").
-Walked around the center of London looking for cheap ice cream (we found it, at McDonald's). 

Monday
-First day of class (I was told I came here to go to school).
-Maids came and cleaned our rooms (come on, USD, get with the program).
-Trying and almost not succeeding in all our errands (but who needs money anyway?).
- Ate an amazing and amazingly cheap lunch (at a place called "Munch, Munch").
-Succeeded in our long quest for a straightener (not only a benefit to myself and Bianca, but also for all the people who had to hear us complain about not having one).
- Got terribly lost looking for a pub (both times we've gotten lost it's been in search of a pub and both times it hasn't been our fault, but the direction giver's).
-Found the pub, but ended up eating take out at the place next store (fit our budgets considerably better)
-Sat outside along the river Thames (chatting, bonding, and shoo-ing away pigeons).
- Saw an AMAZING rendition of my favorite play in the entire world Much Ado About Nothing in the Old Globe Theatre, a very authentic experience (we stood for the entire performance, all three hours of it). 

On Queue for This Week:
-Wimbledon (hopefully get to see a match this time around)
- High Tea at The Capital (rated one of the best hotels in the world, nbd)
-Mumford & Sons Concert (yep, I got tickets!!!)
- Day Trip to Oxford (hopefully I can go to the mailing department for Hogwarts and see why they've taken so long to deliver my acceptance letter...)
- A game of futbol with our new British mates (followed by a celebratory/consolatory trip to the pub).
-A ton of other adventures that will no doubt occur. 

This list doesn't at all give a feel for how amazing/jampacked/authentic/indescribablely awesome my last few days have been. But school calls so it'll have to do for now.

1 comment: