Tuesday, January 5, 2010

No Rest for the Weary

Well, it is a little after 4 in the morning here in Espana, and not only did I just get back from dinner, but half our group is still out gallivanting around the city! I thought New York was suppose to be the city that never sleeps, but I guess Barcelona isn't too keen on sleep either.

But they are big on siestas. Speaking of which, I took a 4 hour one today. UH-mazing.

 Today was our first day of class... after the first 2 days of nothing but fun, I had all but forgotten that I actually came here to take a class. I think I was in denial and oh, how I wish I could have stayed there.
While I'm actually improving in my conversational Spanish (I talk to every cab driver and service person, just like my tia favorita taught me), I am still horrible at academic Spanish. Our professors gave us sentences to do something with (they explained the assignment in Spanish so I'm not quite sure what they wanted) and when I looked down at the first sentence, I knew I was in trouble. Luckily, I have the world's nicest professors who have taken pity on me and my lack of Spanish speaking ability so have no fear Mom and Dad, I will pass (probably). No really, I will (most likely).

Today was the holiday of the three kings! Crazy huge fiesta. Aka christmas for the Spanish speaking world. Apparently Spanish kids are under the delusion that the 3 kings that brought Jesus presents are the ones responsible for the presents they receive when obviously a jolly old man in a red suit and a beard is the culprit. Duh. Anyways, there was a huge parade that went through the entire city, sorta like the macy's thanksgiving day parade only a lot less commercial.

I am trying to find a cord to hook up my camera to my computer so I can put pictures up (of the parade, etc.), but am not having much luck finding one. Oh well, I guess my stirring rhetoric will have to be enough for you all for now.

Unfortunately, I don't have much else to inform you of at present. Maybe its because I slept a good portion of the day away with that siesta I mentioned earlier. Here's hoping I'm done dealing with jet lag and can now use my afternoons to explore the city and compro los regalos para toda del gente leyiendo!

 I have class in 3 hours. Probably time to start my homework.


Mucho amor,
Robyn

1 comment:

  1. in italy the kids get presents from bufana. I am starting to wonder where the heck santa came from lol

    ReplyDelete